Breastfeeding can be hard, really hard and we know that. As a group we have been through engorgment, under supply, mastitis (too many times to count), pain, bliss, love, extended nursing, night weaning, day weaning and pretty much everything else that goes with breastfeeding. We want to help set you up for successful breastfeeding! So we have compiled a list of our top 10 tips.
10 Tips to Successful Breastfeeding.
1) Prepare mentally & Practically
Attend a few classes
2) Le Leche League- attend a few meetings and have the contact information
4) Have realistic expectations (i.e. it will be hard & difficult for 4-8 weeks. I need to take it one feeding at a time and realize its not just me learning but baby! Also knowing how much baby really needs, cues for hunger, and cues that baby is doing well and thriving.)
5) Have all the right tools and supplies:
i.e. milk tea, pump, bra, nipple shield, washable pads, nipple butter, mastitis preventions & treatments, fennel oil, coconut oil, brewers yeast, head of cabbage, feeding tube, # for LC & LLC info , books and DVDs.
6) Ask tons of questions and get a support system
7) Create a mantra or blessing about BF. Get bound and determined.
8) Set aside time to learn & preserve guard your post partum time to ensure you do that don’t rush back to life
9) Take care of yourself
10) Write a note to yourself or have a note written with tips and encouragement for the first 14 days post partum from shower guests or close friends.
We hope these tips will help you on a successful and rewarding breastfeeding journey with your baby. For even more tips, tricks, & advice for specific conditions related to breastfeeding purchase our latest ebook, Breastfeeding Basics.