Is it actually possible to have a simple, stress-free and successful holiday?
YES. Let me tell you how.. and let it be know I have spent many a holiday seasons cleaning crevices no one cared about, made pie crust from scratch when the frozen organic one would have sufficed, moved my ornaments 2zillon times when the kids would keep touching and moving them into christmas clusters, compared my home/decor etc and focused more on what was not done or had vs what was and just “did it” because. I’ll also throw some fun facts out there for you just in case your feeling “behind” This year I did not even start shopping until umm the 10th. My Christmas cards are sitting on my desk waiting for address elves & most of my families socks are in the famous sock basket.. unmatched and unfolded. My dining table still has craft paper on it from Thanksgiving and Im going on a date with my hot husband Friday night and not a gift has been wrapped. See your not alone, behind or failing at all!!!
There of course is great value and purpose to decorating, cleaning, DIYing and baking from scratch don’t get me wrong but if it costs your peace and sanity… something has to give!
Here are my top 20 ways to ensure a successfully stressless holiday!
1) Keep Faith and Family first. I mean thats what its really all about right?
2) Don’t be people pleaser.. ask yourself when doing x y z a) does this “have” to be done. As we all know the difference between people needing clean laundry and us making pinterst perfect mantles right??
b) Answer who am I trying to please or impress? and what is my motive, intention or expectation here?
3) Say YES to what you WANT and NO to what you DON’T. Understand and value the difference between obligation and optional.
4) Don’t go into debt. Set a budget and use an app like Christmas Budget or some Dave Ramsey tool to keep you on track
5) Plan ahead. Make a menu, list, pick out holiday outfits, schedule gift wrapping, baking etc.
6) Take 10 minutes or more a day to breathe, pray, meditate, journal, get fresh air and truly get lost in the wonder, miracle and goodness of this season.
7) Go to bed early and wake up early at least 2x a week. I know its hard for you fellow night owls! Don’t forget to LAUGH and have fun!!!
8) Understand success does not look like perfection aka HGTV, Pinterest or Instagram. Success can be as simple as being satisfied and content with what you have, who you are and the good around you. Lets celebrate the enough vs the need more. Thankfulness, births, beautiful things.
9) Don’t compare… or as said in one of my recent facebook posts:
DON’T DO IT!!!!
Don’t compare!! Its a waste of your time, energy and soul!! Be you, enjoy you and all that is around you!! Remember your seeing everyones highlights, filters and BEST most of the time!!
Don’t compare your Christmas Tree. Your marriage. Your kids. Your Decor. Your Hair. Your lipgloss. Your blog or business. Your Wrapping Paper. Your likes and followers. No. Nope and No again. If you find yourself falling into that trap… stay off social media a few days and find yourself again.
10) Less is more. Don’t go all crazy on crap. By crap I mean stuff that breaks, you throw away and no one cares about five seconds later. Invest in gifts of experience, handmade items, photo gifts, art, upcycled, recycled, quality time or things you actually know people love and would want. With kids try to stick to something they want, something they need and something to read or share (game/movie etc.)
11) Ask for help or RECEIVE help. That might look like hiring a sitter, a house helper, letting your MIL host or bring a side dish.
12) Be present & in the moment. Whoever your talking to or with Be 100% there.. don’t think about yesterday, tomorrow or someone or something else.. be present! Don’t forget to make eye contact, put the phones away, say please and thank you.. these little things go a long way!
13) Breathe. Breathe deep breaths aka tummy breaths. Inhale for 7 seconds and exhale for 11.This is a great de-stresser.
14) Don’t do it all. You can refer to my post on how I don’t do it all and stay tuned for my don’t do it all part 2 coming at ya in January also
15) Try to avoid white sugar, processed foods, artificial dyes, sweeteners and all things that make you go crazy, moody, bloated, headache and bleh. Stay hydrated! Lots of water with lemon essential oil, organic herbal teas and other immune boosting foods such as: bone broth, kombucha, raw milk , uncorked, green drinks.
16) Use some de-stressing, uplifting essential oils such as: Elevation, Citrus Bliss, Serenity, Balance or Wild Orange! I love elevation on my temples or diffused, wild orange in my water or smoothie, serenity on the back of my neck and citrus bliss is great on my wrist and diffused. Balance is wonderful on the bottom of your feet to keep you grounded, stable and calm. You can purchase these here.
17) Keep healthy boundries and communication. Remember that you control you and its your job to tell people what you feel, what you need and what your going to do and nothing more. Even as it pertains to gifts, if you really desire your spouse to purchase you a massage but you don’t express that to them and you don’t receive that gift whos fault is that? No one is a mind reader… choose to be vulnerable and healthy which looks like communicating your needs, wants, feelings and thoughts in a healthy way! Reference the book KYLO for more on healthy communication and relationships.
18) Christmas can be celebrated a week or 2 before or after especially if you have loads of familes, split familes, blended familes. Make it enjoyable and worthwhile vs a have to do buffet type of day vs a sit down meal you can enjoy.
19) Believe. Believe in miracles. Believe in the purpose and future before you. Believe the best is yet to come. Believe in people.
BElieve THEere is GOOD in the world.. be the good.
20) Let it go ( Just when you thought you broke free of frozen.. forigive me) Reality is something will go wrong, break, burn or be forgotten and guess what ITS OK!!!! You can anticipate a great day but setting crazy expectations is possibly a set up for disappointment so watch that line closely. Don’t freak out when one of the listed happens.. refer to 1-19. 🙂
I hope you have not just read over these but truly received them and plan to apply them to your home and hearts. Friends I want you to have peace and joy and everything this season is really all about but when it becomes about stuff, impressing others, overdoing ourselves until we are burnt out.. its just not ok. Can we choose to say no to all that this year and choose to say yes to health for our mind, body, soul and homes? Can we say yes to joy, grace & gratitude and no to comparing? Can we decide the direction of our days and atmospheres of our homes with our words and intentions? Together lets promise to be present and patient with the hearts we have been trusted with. I know it won’t always be easy and we might mess it up a time or five hundred but thats ok too. I give you permission to forgive and be forgiven, I give you permission to hit the reset button on those really sucky mornings or days. I release you to have the best holiday season you have ever experienced.
Lets partner with his presence that brings healing, comfort, hope, life and abundance to all things. This friends is really what its all about.